Saturday, August 21, 2010

HOW TO BE FIT LIKE THE OLD SPICE GUY

Isaiah Mustafa, better known as "The Old Spice Guy" has had an explosion of popularity recently thanks to this commercial:





He appeared on the July 28, 2010 episode of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and revealed his current diet and fitness regimen. Quoted from the episode:

"I'm fortunate enough to work out with Tony Horton of P90Xfame, and he keeps me ripped. He's got me on this diet right now that's absolutely ridiculous. There's five things you can't do:
1. No alcohol
2. No caffeine
3. No processed sugars
4. Nothing with a face; no animals or animal byproducts.
5. Here's the tough one, though: gluten. No gluten.


I eat fruits and vegetables and leaves and stuff like that."
Pic from Essence.com

He afterward also revealed in an interview with the New York Daily News that his vegan dietis apparently only temporary:

"Normally, I love steakhouses and burgers, but right now, I'm on a vegan dietfor 30 days. For a month, I have to abide by five rules: No alcohol. No processed sugar. No gluten. No animal products or byproducts. No caffeine. I pretty much eat lentils and certain types of tofu. I can't wait for this to be over."


He also adds a bit more info about his workouts:


"I go to the gym six days a week and work out with an exercise guru. Sunday sessions are especially long. We go out to the beach and do all kinds of weird stuff like gymnastics. I probably work out 10 hours a week."


MY THOUGHTS:


Mustafa advocates the P90X workout,which really is very effective. If you haven't heard about it before, then you should definitely check it out!


I'm not too into vegan dietsor cleansing, though, but that's more of a personal thing. I don't like totally vegan or raw food dietssince I like to maintain my muscle mass, and those types of diets aren't really very efficient for my needs.


I also don't like cleansing since they promote too much negative rebounding after the term is over. It's like plenty of other fad diets: you crave the entire time you're on the very strict regimen, then you splurge all out and regain most if not all your weight. Even Mustafa admits that he doesn't very much the diet since "he can't wait for it to be over". I have to admit that it works very well for some people, though, so I'm not totally against it.

I would rather advice a very healthy nutritional plan you can maintain for your entire life, though, rather than something that totally cuts out most of your food options every once in a while, such as the Zone Diet or the Paleo Diet (both of which I've been on). That sort of balanced diet can be easily maintained for the rest of your life without any ill effects, both physically and mentally.


What's in Fitness Philippines?

About Me

My Photo
fitnessphp
Hello, I'm Noel Blanco and I write Fitness Philippines. I have been involved in physical fitness for more than 10 years now and am currently taking up graduate studies on Exercise and Sports Science at the University of the Philippines. You can contact me at fitnessphp@yahoo.com
View my complete profile
 
Related Posts with Thumbnails