Saturday, January 1, 2011

5 THINGS I'M THANKFUL FOR GOING INTO 2011

I don't really have any New Year's Resolutions for 2011 (and I'll explain why in a little bit), so instead of creating a list comprised of that, I'm going to create a list of things that occurred for me in 2010 that I'm thankful for having going into 2011. The US has Thanksgiving for lists like this, but since we don't celebrate that in my country, I guess January 1st is the best place to have it.

1. I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions

No, I'm not kidding, and yes, I do believe that this should be at the top. I find that New Year's Resolutions are tools to make people increasingly lazy and indecisive. I don't really want to point fingers and label those who honestly enjoy making these and look forward to writing them down, but I feel that they do more harm than good.

That's not to say, however, that I dislike resolutions in general. Far from it, in fact. It's just the timeframe of it all that I don't like. People make resolutions like "I'll lose weight in 2011" or "I'll start exercising in 2011" or "I'll quit smoking in 2011". Well that's all fine and good, but why didn't you start sooner? Why did you have to wait for January 1, 2011 to make these resolutions? New Year's Resolutions are convenient excuses for people to put things that they should be doing as soon as possible off for a few more months.
HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

I make resolutions as often as possible. Once I think of something I need to do or change, I implement it as quickly as I can. If I can't do it immediately, then I jot it down in Google Calendar so it can be put on a schedule I'm comfortable with. If I didn't do it this way, I would never have accomplished a lot of things I have in this year. I hate wasting time and hate putting important things off, so I tend to complete all my tasks as soon as possible.


2. Deciding to go into blogging and take it seriously
I decided this in mid-March, 2010. I was looking through different opportunities for me to grab onto and blogging caught my attention for one reason or another. I tried it out and, after a few months, I was hooked. I'm still very new at this, though, but am thankful partly because of the individuals I have met through this art and because of the opportunities it has and will open up to me.


3. Trying out EET Fitness
This is one of things that blogging opened up to me. I would never have met its founder, Jon Pearlstone, if I wasn't a serious fitnessblogger. EET Fitness is a plan that allows a person to gain his or her ideal fitness level and eat whatever they desire literally every day of the year, simultaneously eliminating any and all cravings and creating a sustainable lifestyle you'll never rebound out of. I've made some magnificent gains on this plan and have actually lost 16 pounds in only 11 weeks, while still maintaining the muscle mass I'd built up, because of it. This is apparently only the tip of the iceberg, though, and I'm very eager to see how far EET Fitness can take me!



4. Finishing up my graduate school studies
Taking up Human Kinetics was something I'd always wanted to do, but couldn't because it wasn't offered at my college. I'm only three months into finally completing my year and a half journey in learning about the hard sciences behind the subject I'm most passionate about, and it was all worth it. I met some amazing people along the way and learned a great deal.
Ryu from the Street
Fighter series


5. Launching my separate martial arts blog 
Last but not least is my second blog, The World and Martial Arts. In it, I reveal how the martial arts are represented in society today. So, I talk about things like the UFC, fighting video games such as Street Fighter,  martial arts cinema and anime, and my idol, Bruce Lee.

I previously wrote a lot about mixed martial arts on this blog, but things got out of hand for a while and I wound up writing only about the UFC and completely eliminating the fitness aspects of the blog. I was criticized for this and, knowing full well that the martial arts is a tremendous reason why I'm so into fitness, I could not let it go, and so decided to create a place for me to talk about it.

At first, I wanted it to be strictly about Mixed Martial Arts, but since I'm not that great a news journalist (I always wind up several days behind everybody else) and I'm not a real Mixed Martial Artist, I thought that this would eventually drive the blog to stagnation, as I could not very well compete with the other MMA blogs out there are clearly leagues above my own. So, I decided to pool all of the aspects of my martial arts passion in a single domain and make an entirely new beast.

The blog's still very much experimental but I believe that I've more or less found a groove for it, and I'm very happy with it at the moment.


FINAL THOUGHTS

Of course, there are other things that I'm more than thankful for such as my loving family, my true friends, my health, and so on, but I wanted to highlight these five because they meant a whole lot to me this year and are things that I'm sure will carry me into the new year and beyond.

What's in Fitness Philippines?

About Me

My Photo
fitnessphp
Hello, I'm Noel Blanco and I write Fitness Philippines. I have been involved in physical fitness for more than 10 years now and am currently taking up graduate studies on Exercise and Sports Science at the University of the Philippines. You can contact me at fitnessphp@yahoo.com
View my complete profile
 
Related Posts with Thumbnails